[ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: dash-0.5.9.1-1

Steven Penny svnpenn@gmail.com
Mon Feb 27 12:48:00 GMT 2017

On Mon, 27 Feb 2017 11:20:54, Csaba Raduly wrote:
> Nice strawman argument.
> You seem to assume that Dash implements nothing beyond POSIX (and
> hence anything that runs on dash must run on every other shell). This
> is not the case.

Perhaps you should have read my full post. Here, let me quote myself and link
for you:

On Sat, 25 Feb 2017 09:08:55, Steven Penny wrote:
> #!/bin/bash -> script that follows might have Bashisms
> #!/bin/dash -> script that follows might have Dashisms (echo -n, local)
> #!/bin/sh -> script that follows should be a POSIX script

So, as I said before and now again, Dash is a minimal shell, similar to POSIX
shell. Yes, it is possible to be in a situation like this:

- script has #!/bin/sh
- script has Dashisms, which can cause problem on POSIX shell

However being that "echo -n" and "local" are probably the only Dashisms, that is
trivial to fix. Compare to a Bash problem:

- script has #!/bin/sh
- script has Bashisms, which can cause problem on POSIX shell

Even switching from a Bash script to Dash script can be a herculean task, if the
script heavily relies on Bashisms like arrays, herestrings, process
substitution, etc.