[ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: dash-0.5.9.1-1

Steven Penny svnpenn@gmail.com
Tue Feb 28 21:43:00 GMT 2017

On Tue, 28 Feb 2017 15:52:15, cyg Simple wrote:
> Ironic that *you* should make the same argument for using #!/bin/bash as
> I've made to you about using #!/bin/dash.

Its not the same argument:

- You are talking about people assuming Dash is /bin/sh
- I am talking about people assuming Bash is /bin/sh

Both are wrong, but assuming Dash is /bin/sh is leagues more innocuous:

- Dash doesnt have arrays
- Dash doesnt have herestrings
- Dash doesnt have process substitution
- etc

So even if someone does mess up and include a Dashism with /bin/sh, it should be
trivial to fix. If you include heavy Bashisms with /bin/sh, it can be very hard
to undo that. Dash is not interchangable with POSIX sh, but it is certainly
closer than Bash.

> But that doesn't mean you should expect /bin/sh to be dash.

I certainly dont expect that. I expect /bin/sh to be POSIX sh, and try to write
my scripts accordingly. Dash helps with this because it forces you to lose
Bashisms when writing scripts.

> The idea is only sound because it uses less resources and when we're talking
> about Windows a little resource makes a big difference.

Exactly. Even with Dash as /bin/sh, we are still about 5x slower than Linux
/bin/sh. People who are using /bin/sh with the assumption that it is Bash can
just change their shebang, or remove the Bashisms from their /bin/sh scripts.