rename() cannot replace the file which is opened with writable access

cyg Simple cygsimple@gmail.com
Thu Jan 12 16:38:00 GMT 2017

> On Jan 12 15:30, Nellis, Kenneth (Conduent) wrote:
>> From: Masamichi Hosoda
>>> If I understand correctly,
>>> POSIX behavior should be able to replace the writable opened file by
>>> rename().
>>> But, It does not work on my Cygwin environment.
>>>
>>> Is it no problem if Cygwin's behavior is different from POSIX behavior?
>>> If so, we need different application handling for Cygwin and POSIX.
>>
>> I thought it would be informative to respond by referring the OP
>> to a section of the Cygwin User's Guide or FAQ that mentioned the
>> limitations of Cygwin, but I could not find it.
>
> Needs debugging.  Off the top of my head I have no clue why this
> doesn't work.  I'm just not near any Windows machine ATM...

Possibly BLODA.  In the sample code provided, the rename is trying to
rename the open file to an existing filename that was recently (within
microseconds) created.

--
cyg Simple