Win 7 to Win 10 upgrade, all files Unknown+User and Unknown+Group

LMH lmh_users-groups@molconn.com
Sun Jul 2 16:42:00 GMT 2017

mn wrote:
> I upgraded from Win 7 to Win 10 and I am not able to run a tar command
> on my files. Everything was working as it should before that. I will
> add that I am working on backup files and if something goes wrong I
> can lose like a year and a half of full day / week work. The name of
> my user is 01 and all files and folders are now showing as
> Unknown+User and Unknown+Group. Please let me know how to make it
> work.
>
> Thanks.
>
> --

Not addressing the cygwin issue, but the first thing you should do is to make a copy
of all of your files using a method that will not care about the permissions. I you
have space on a backup drive, use a tool like clonezilla to make an image of the
entire drive.

If you do not have space to to that, use a live linux distribution to copy all of the
files you need to a backup drive.

Don't mess around with untried solutions until you have a backup.

LMH