distinguishing cygwin from mingw binaries

Hans-Bernhard Bröker HBBroeker@t-online.de
Mon Jul 10 19:01:00 GMT 2017

Am 10.07.2017 um 19:40 schrieb Nellis, Kenneth:
> For my personal use, I use gcc to generate binaries, but occasionally I need
> to make a binary available to someone who doesn't use Cygwin. For that I use
> Cygwin's x86_64-w64-mingw32-gcc.
>
> After the fact, I would like to know whether the binary requires Cygwin support
> or not. One way is: strings foo.exe | grep cygwin1.dll

That's a bit too rough.  Something like

	cygcheck ./foo.exe  | grep cygwin1.dll
or	ldd ./foo.exe | grep cygwin1.dll

would be more precise.

> One of my wishes for Cygwin is for the "file" command to make the distinction.

Well, SHTDI. IOW: please don't feel as if anybody were keeping you from
constructing a 'file' rule that achieves that, and offering it to the
public.  ;-)