Request to the git maintainer

Eliot Moss moss@cs.umass.edu
Tue Jul 11 12:34:00 GMT 2017

On 7/10/2017 10:33 PM, Brian Inglis wrote:
> On 2017-07-10 20:00, Eliot Moss wrote:
>>> Backup processes should run with SeBackupPrivilege.
>>
>> Reasonable.  CrashPlan runs using SYSTEM access.  I
>> will try adding SYSTEM to the BackupOperators group,
>> which presumably has SeBackupPrivilege (and
>> SeRestorePrivilege).  I am not sure how else to approach
>> granting suitable privilege to this program.
>
> Normally (a) backup/restore account(s) with backup/restore GPOs.
> Failing that, registry tweaks, which should be set up by your backup package
> installer.
> Review
> https://support.crashplan.com/Troubleshooting/Unable_To_Back_Up_Files_Windows

Thank you, Brian - I was aware of that page.  It says that the SYSTEM user
needs access to the files.  I have normally set up so that my cygwin tree
is granted SYSTEM read access all the way down.  /usr/share/locale does
not seem to obey that, which I will inspect more deeply.  Meanwhile, I am
still seeing if adding SYSTEM to BackupOperators is helpful ...

Regards - EM