Sparse files in Cygwin

Eric Blake eblake@redhat.com
Wed Jul 26 18:20:00 GMT 2017

On 07/26/2017 12:02 PM, Lavrentiev, Anton (NIH/NLM/NCBI) [C] wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have a question whether sparse files are supported in Cygwin.  From the source code,
> it looks like they are, but from the series of the following commands, I can't confirm:

They are, but only if you specifically update your mount options to ask
for them:

https://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/using.html#mount-table

  sparse    - Switch on support for sparse files.  This option only makes
              sense on NTFS and then only if you really need sparse files.
	      Cygwin does not try to create sparse files by default for
	      performance reasons.

--
Eric Blake, Principal Software Engineer
Red Hat, Inc.           +1-919-301-3266