[ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: libreadline7-7.0.3-3

Eric Blake eblake@redhat.com
Sat Jul 29 10:08:00 GMT 2017

On 07/28/2017 01:39 PM, Steven Penny wrote:
> On Fri, 28 Jul 2017 09:54:59, Eric Blake wrote:
>> > LATIN SMALL LETTER O WITH DIAERESIS' (U+00F6):
>> >=20
>> >    $ chcp.com 65001
>> >    Active code page: 65001
>> >=20
>> > - Alt 148 outputs nothing
>> > - Alt 0246 outputs nothing
>>
>> But that's true even in a bare cmd window. So it's hard to say what it
>> is SUPPOSED to do.  I'm trying to debug bash, not cmd's alt- behavior.
>
> I thought you were gaslighting me for a second, but upon testing this
> with a
> pristine virtual machine, I see you are right.

And yes, I'm testing in a fairly pristine install (about 1 week old)

> The reason is that a new Windows install (and probably your environment)
> has
> "Raster Fonts" set under "Defaults > Font > Font". Changing this to
> "Consolas"
> or "Lucida Console" will allow proper behavior under 65001.

Aha - that's another key piece of information: the choice of font in use
by the display determines which characters can be rendered where; the
default font is limited in scope, but picking a font with more
characters allows more things to be displayed.

--
Eric Blake, Principal Software Engineer
Red Hat, Inc.           +1-919-301-3266