clean uninstall

mike mikereape@onetel.com
Sun Jul 30 22:12:00 GMT 2017

On 28/07/2017 15:13, mike wrote:
> On 28/07/2017 15:06, Ken Brown wrote:
>> On 7/28/2017 9:58 AM, mike wrote:
>>> Hello
>>>
>>> I have deleted all but var and dev from my C:\cygwin folder (which
>>> was quite painful and time-consuming BTW) and then moved the cygwin
>>> folder to my Documents folder and then deleted a Cygwin desktop icon
>>> and two Cygwin folders from my Start > All Programs menu.  Is that
>>> sufficient to give me a clean uninstall so that I can do a brand new
>>> Cygwin install without problems?  I did it that way because I
>>> couldn't figure out any other way of uninstalling Cygwin.
>>
>> https://cygwin.com/faq.html#faq.setup.uninstall-all
>>
>> Ken
>>

> Thank you Ken for your lightning fast reply.  I did google for the
> answer but couldn't narrow it down to what I was looking for.  I am
> sure that that is the definitive answer.  Thank you very much. I will
> do it.
>
>> --
>> Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
>> FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/
>> Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html

I have deleted everything in C:\cygwin that I could figure out how to
and then moved the cygwin folder to my Documents folder.  I managed to
delete everything before the move except for what became
C:\Users\Mike\Documents\cygwin\dev\nul and
C:\Users\Mike\Documents\cygwin\var\log\sshd.log.  I can't for the life
of me figure out how to get rid of the dev folder which tells me when I
try to "Invalid MS-DOS function" or the var folder which tells me when I
try to "Try Again" and that the folder is shared. It's just two files
and a few nested folders.

I would be very grateful for any help.  I'm trying to do this the right
way because I don't want to get bit again when I try to do the fresh
selective install because of something lying around from previous
installs.  I want to start from scratch.

Thanks in advance

Mike