setup 2.878 only processes one site

Jon Turney jon.turney@dronecode.org.uk
Wed May 17 19:17:00 GMT 2017

On 17/05/2017 18:06, David Rothenberger wrote:
> Jon Turney wrote:
>> On 17/05/17 00:14, David Rothenberger wrote:
>>> When I use the new Direct Connection option in setup 2.878, it appears
>>> that setup only downloads the setup.xz file from one of the three sites
>>> I have selected.
>>
>> Interesting.  I don't see anything in the changes since 2.877 that
>> would have caused this.  Can you show a setup.log.full?
>
> Attached, although I didn't see any difference in the log between using
> the new Direct Connection option and the old one.

Thanks.

Yes, we could do a better job of logging that a fetch was satisfied from
the cache, but I hope that the fact that the setup.xz URLs are logged as
fetched and used means if that they weren't actually fetched, they came
from a cache.

>> Something which might give this impression is that setup will now
>> cache setup.xz, and only download it if it has changed.
>>
>> I had no idea anyone actually used this feature of setup.  I'm
>> somewhat sceptical it's making things faster or more reliable, rather
>> than just downloading the same file 3 times... :)
>
> I think you nailed it. I tried again this morning and the first time I
> ran setup, it did contact our local site, but it did not on subsequent
> runs (even to see if the file has changed). I then modified our web

This would be very bad, if true.  Are you sure that we aren't contacting
the server at all? (such requests might not be logged in some
configurations)

> server to add a "Cache-Control: no-cache" header and cleared the Windows
> cache. After that, setup retrieved the setup.xz file from our server on
> every run.
>
> For background, we host our own partial repository of locally built
> packages, so the setup.xz our server provides is not complete. It would
> be incorrect for setup to assume that the setup.xz downloaded from one
> site is identical to the ones available from the other selected sites.

Ignore what I wrote there.  Somehow "site" became "mirror" in my mind.
Of course, using multiple package repositories should work as you expect.