Clueless! sshd ONLY fails at system startup (XP/SP3) ...

Houder houder@xs4all.nl
Fri May 26 06:23:00 GMT 2017

On 2017-05-25 17:59, Andrey Repin wrote:

Hi Andrey,

[snip]
>> When the service is restarted after system startup, i.c.
>
>>      cygrunsrv -E sshd; cygrunsrv -S sshd
>
>> it then works flawlessly (which amazes me, given the error in
>> the sshd.log)
>
> What if you `net start "Cygwin sshd"` ?

You mean after system startup? It tells me that "the requested service
has already been started." ... and sshd still fails when I approach it
again.
(yes, "net stop ...", followed by "net start ..." again does the trick)

[snip]
>> Any suggestions? (Yes, XP has F-Secure as anti-virus)
>
>> The message in the sshd.log:
>
>> Server listening on 0.0.0.0 port <X>.^M # X = some port, but not 22
>>        1 [main] sshd 3152 E:\Cygwin25\usr\sbin\sshd.exe: *** fatal
>> error
>> in forked process - fork: can't reserve memory for parent stack
>> 0x30000
>> - 0x230000, (child has 0x40000 - 0x240000), Win32 error 487
>>   395874 [main] sshd 3152 cygwin_exception::open_stackdumpfile:
>> Dumping
>> stack trace to sshd.exe.stackdump
>>        3 [main] sshd 536 fork: child -1 - forked process 3152 died
>> unexpectedly, retry 0, exit code 0x100, errno 11
>> fork: Resource temporarily unavailable^M

[snip]
> Any "antivirus" running on that system?

Yes ... as I wrote in the original post "F-Secure" has been installed,
and
yes, it may be the culprit ... (would have to UNinstall it, cannot
switch
it off temporarily).

> Did you try to fully rebase your installation?

I did ... as instructed in /usr/share/doc/Cygwin/_autorebase.README

  - rebase-trigger fullrebase
  - shut down "Cygwin" (incuding: cygrunsrv -E sshd)
  - execute setup ...

It did not help. But read the error report in the sshd.log again: it is
not the "classical dll clash" (description by Michael Lemke :-), it is
"something else" (related to the "lockstep" in which parent and child
are
forced by the cygwin dll when the fork syscall takes places, and yes, in
those circumstance a dll clash may occur if the Cygwin dlls have not
been
properly rebased).

As rebasing did not help, I tried some other things, but then decided,
it would be far wiser to install the last valid version of Cygwin.

However the result was the same ...

Subsequently tried the peflags command ... reconfigured openssh in a
different way (using cyg_server as the privileged account - although not
required in XP)

Did some things (that I cannot really remember now). Finally I decided I
did not have a clue of what was going on (and of what I was doing).

That is why I decided to post my problem. I am clueless. More so, as I
can make sshd work by just restarting it ...

Regards,

Henri