setup release candidate - please test

Peter A. Castro doctor@fruitbat.org
Fri May 26 20:34:00 GMT 2017

On Fri, 26 May 2017, Jon Turney wrote:

> Date: Fri, 26 May 2017 18:25:17 +0100
> Subject: Re: setup release candidate - please test
>
> On 26/05/2017 16:01, Ian Lambert via cygwin wrote:
>> On Fri, 5/26/17, Jon Turney <> wrote:
>>   Subject: Re: setup release candidate - please test
>>   Date: Friday, May 26, 2017, 8:05 AM
>>
>>   > Can you give an example of a setup command
>>   line containing an invalid
>>   > option
>>   which "quietly does nothing" rather than reporting
>>   an error?
>>
>> The example above, when started from a desktop icon,
>> in windos 7 enterprise.
>
> Ah, maybe I have misunderstood what you meant: I thought you meant the
> invalid option is silently ignored, but you meant that when started like
> that, an invalid option causes setup to silently do nothing.
>
> That's because the error is being written to a non-existent console.
> Unfortunately, knowing if we've been started from a terminal or not to report
> the error appropriately is a bit of a problem.

It's been a while since I did real Win32 programming, but I seem to recall
there were some indirect ways of determining if you had a Console
environment, like calling GetConsoleTitle() and if it returns an error
then you don't have a console.  Or maybe GetStdHandle() ?

If you detemine you don't have a Console, then create a pop-up dialog box
showing the error with a dummy OK button?

I'd bet Corinna would have this kind of knowledge at her fingertips. :)

[snip]

--
--=> Peter A. Castro
Email: doctor at fruitbat dot org / Peter dot Castro at oracle dot com