cygwin x86 setup issue:Can't connect to (null):80

Jon Turney jon.turney@dronecode.org.uk
Thu Oct 26 20:40:00 GMT 2017

On 26/10/2017 16:52, Fergus wrote:
>>> .. we are using our internal cygwin mirror
>>> .. when we setup x86-setup.exe .. it show download incomplete ..
>>> I thought perhaps setup couldn't handle a nonstandard port ..
>
> Not quite certain what is going on but something is, possibly related
> to the latest recent up-versioning of the setup-x86 executable to
> 2.882?

Since the OPs first mail about their problem (2017-10-15) pre-dates the
release of setup 2.882 (2017-10-24), this seems unlikely unless OP is in
possession of a time-machine.

> Forever I have updated Cygwin using a Command Prompt window and the
> typed command
> setup-x86.exe -L D:\cyg -R D:\consoleX -gqnm
> where the key switches are to update to the Cygwin provision located
> at D:\consoleX from a local mirror located at D:\cyg.
> (Previously I will have updated x86\setup.ini and x86\setup.ini.sig
> and augmented x86\release\ so that everything is in place that is
> needed.)

I'm not sure what this means.

There should be no way for you to generate a valid setup.ini.sig (absent
possession the Cygwin signing key, or using --no-verify, or using
--pubkey to provide an additional key), assuming the setup validates
that signature in --local-package-dir mode, which I think it should be.

> This command now fails, but too early in the process for a logfile to
> be commenced. Basically the locally-based installation procedure
> hangs.

Thanks for reporting this problem.  I can't reproduce it.

Perhaps running setup with --no-admin --verbose (so that logging is
emitted to the terminal) might shed some light on things?