ssh cause mintty terminal not to close (tested on 4 cygwin installations)

Andrey Repin anrdaemon@yandex.ru
Thu Aug 2 21:20:00 GMT 2018

Greetings, Niels Kristian Jensen!

> I've noticed a strange behavior of the standard Cygwin Terminal (mintty):

> If I open a Cygwin Terminal (using the shortcut on the desktop installed by
> Cygwin setup) and just press Ctrl-D, it writes "logout" and closes the
> window as expected.

> If I do the same, but give one command "ssh<enter>" first, the word
> "logout" appear, the window goes black, but the window does not close (!) The
> window can still be closed using the "X" in upper right corner.

> If I replace the command with "ssh -V<enter>", the window closes as
> expected when I press Ctrl-D.

A long known issue.
mintty holds terminal open if last program finished with failure.
ssh somehow tripping this wire on occasion.

> This may seem like a minor thing, but we have much trouble with Jenkins
> builds (started via Cygwin OpenSSH) which randomly hang forever - I wonder
>  if this could be a clue in this investigation.

> Tested versions:

> Windows Server 2008 R2
> OpenSSH_7.3p1, OpenSSL 1.0.2j  26 Sep 2016
> mintty 2.7.0 (i686-pc-cygwin)

> and

> Windows 10
> OpenSSH_7.6p1, OpenSSL 1.0.2m  2 Nov 2017
> mintty 2.8.1 (i686-pc-cygwin)

Try upgrading your mintty, also, if it's about automated building environment,
I don't see how's mintty can be involved.

--
With best regards,
Andrey Repin

Sorry for my terrible english...