Cygwin's ACL handling is NOT interoperable with Windows

Michael Wild themiwi@gmail.com
Mon Aug 6 06:15:00 GMT 2018

On Sun, Aug 5, 2018 at 5:35 PM Andrey Repin <anrdaemon@yandex.ru> wrote:

> Greetings, Stefan Kanthak!
>
> > Andrey Repin wrote:
>
> >> Greetings, Stefan Kanthak!

> >              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> >>
> >> 260 including drive letter.
>
> > WRONG, AGAIN!
> > 260 is the value of MAX_PATH, which accounts for the trailing \0, and
> > commonly used as
>
> > | char buffer[MAX_PATH];
>
> > I recommend to read
> > <https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/desktop/fileio/naming-a-file>
> > VERY careful!

> characters;
> >>
> >> CWD may be, but command processor does not.
>
> > Neither Cygwin's WRONG documentation nor I referred to the command
> processor.
>
> I think, this is an appropriate response to the underlying issue:
> https://xkcd.com/386

+1 from me.

I propose to ignore Stefan until he learns his manners, is less
cantankerous and maybe even volunteers to submit a patch if indeed there is
a problem with the ACL handling (although, to be honest, I can hardly
imagine it, Corinna being involved...).

Michael