[ANNOUNCEMENT] TEST RELEASE: Cygwin 2.11.0-0.1

Eric Blake eblake@redhat.com
Mon Aug 13 22:16:00 GMT 2018

On 08/13/2018 04:29 PM, Houder wrote:

>> The modication would require changing:
>>
>> winsup/cygwin/fenv.cc (_feinitialise() )
>> winsup/cygwin/include/fenv.h (FE_ALL_EXCEPT)
>
> GRRR! The file encoding of fenv.h is "cp1252" because of 2 characters in
> this
> line:
>
>       Intel® 64 and IA-32 Architectures Software Developer’s Manuals:
>
> ... part of a comment at the beginning of the file.
>
> (the registered trademark sign (u00ae) is encoded as 0xae (cp1252),
> while it
>   would be: 0xc2 0xae, in utf-8,
>   the right single quotation mark (u2019) is encoded as 0x92 (cp1252),
> but in
>   utf-8 it would be: 0xc2 0x80 0x98)
>
> I intend to convert the file encoding of fenv.h to utf-8. Is that a "No-No"
> or is it allowed? (I assume GIT will notice).

In general, git doesn't care if you change a file's encoding - that's
just another content change.  In practice, you may get weird effects
when viewing that particular patch (as the patch is not well-formed in
the new multibyte locale, and looks funky when displayed in the old
locale), and emailing a patch may require care in telling git which
encoding to use for the email; but that's cosmetic, and shouldn't matter
in the long run.  Updating the code base to uniformly use UTF-8 seems
reasonable to me.

--
Eric Blake, Principal Software Engineer
Red Hat, Inc.           +1-919-301-3266