Fw: When scrolling through history in cygwin terminal window line gets garbled

Thomas Wolff towo@towo.net
Fri Aug 17 16:26:00 GMT 2018

Am 17.08.2018 um 15:36 schrieb surendar jeyadev via cygwin:
> I am having a similar issue to that pictorially shown here:
>

> https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/344502/when-scrolling-through-history-in-cygwin-terminal-window-line-gets-garbled
>

> This is new to me as I have been using Cygwin on a Windows 7
>
> machine for several years without encountering this problem.
>
> (Of course, that Cygwin build was from 5 or 6 years back.)
> I just moved to a Windows 10 machine and installed Cygwin from scratch a couple of days back and ran into the issue.
>
> Using the UP arrow to go up the history list, I have no problem till I hit a long command (in the case shown below the problematic command was about 50 characters long). When going one step further up the history list, the leading characters of the long command stay on the command line. I cannot backspace/delete them.
>
> I am using mintty from the standard distribution.
>
> Specific example. I issue a 'history' command to show the
>
> history and then use the UP arrow key to scroll upwards. After 6 Ups, I reach command no. 33 as shown below.
>
> ================================
> sita 41 $  history
>      2  vi .bash_profile
>      3  quit
>      4  eixt
>      5  exit
>      6  histoyr
>      7  history
>      8  vi .bash_profile
>      9  vi .bash_profile
>     10  exit
>     11  history
>     12  cd /usr/share
>     13  ls
>     14  cd
>     15  history
>     16  exit
>     17  history
>     18  history
>     19  exit
>     20  sdafasfas
>     21  history
>     22  cp /usr/share/vim/vim*/vimrc_example.vim ~/.vimrc
>     23  history
>     24  cp /usr/share/vim/vim*/vimrc_example.vim ~/.vimrc
>     25  history
>     26  ls
>     27  cd
>     28  vi .bash_profile
>     29  exit
>     30  history
>     31  exit
>     32  cygcheck -s -v -r > cygcheck.out
>     33  history
>     34  history
>     35  ls
>     36  cd
>     37  pwd
>     38  ls
>     39  history
>     40  exit
>     41  history
> sita 42 $  history
> ================================
>
> Now I move up one more step an get
>
> ================================
> 30  history
>     31  exit
>     32  cygcheck -s -v -r > cygcheck.out
>     33  history
>     34  history
> [...]
Please test the following:
* Set you prompt to some basic string, e.g. PS1=%. Does that change
anything?
* Mintty 2.7.5 changed the default wraparound behaviour to become
compatible with the xterm default. With setting -o OldWrapModes=true,
does that change anything?
* Can you cross-test this in xterm?
* Does it happen in a freshly-started mintty? If it only happens later,
which programs did you run in the meantime?
* Make a screen log demonstrating a minimal test case, please.