[ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: mintty 2.9.5

Thomas Wolff towo@towo.net
Fri Dec 7 20:12:00 GMT 2018

Am 06.12.2018 um 22:32 schrieb Andrey Repin:
> Greetings, Achim Gratz!
>
>> a) Just warn about the missing PATH component without changing the PATH.
>> b) Give the user an option to let the command run with a separate PATH.
>> Indeed there might be other things that are missing in the environment,
>> so instead of just fixing up PATH you might consider using a wrapper
>> that the user can change.
> This is an interesting point.
> Probably letting the user specify custom $PATH for quick commands (and save
> current %PATH% as $ORIGINAL_PATH) may be the best choice.
> The default can be %Cygwin%\bin:%PATH% or %PATH%:%Cygwin%\bin, I'm not very
> concerned as long as it's explicit and customizable.
I didn't expect the setup of this specific feature to be so strongly
advocated :)
In any case, things shouldn't become too complex. What I can image is an
option UserCommandsPATH
with one optional placeholder %s which would be replaced with the
environment PATH;
default /bin:%s, corresponding to current behaviour.

> If anybody need a wrapper, they may write and use it by themselves.
>
> (I already have one, written in TCC, working quite well.)
Out of curiosity, what's TCC and what does your wrapper do?

Thomas