how is cygstart different from cmd /c or how to have cygstart start 'inline'?

cyg Simple cygsimple@gmail.com
Sat Dec 22 10:26:00 GMT 2018

On 12/21/2018 2:33 AM, L A Walsh wrote:
> Got a program that starts under cygstart, but I'd
> like to be able to start it without starting up the program
> in a new window..so was trying cmd /c.
>
> I compared env's and noted both PATH and TMP had been
> converted back to the backslash using case, so I
> did that manually:
>
> if ((usecmd)); then
>     export TMP=$(cygpath -w $TMP)
>     my newpath=""
>     my sep=""
>     readarray -t pathar < <(echo -E "$PATH"|tr ":" "\n")
>     for p in "${pathar[@]}"; do
>         n=$(cygpath -w "$p")
>         newpath="$newpath$sep$n"
>         #echo -E "newpath=$newpath"
>         sep=";"
>     done
>     export Path=$newpath
> fi
>
> But no luck in launching (cygstart case works):
>
> cd "$ldir" && {
>     if ((usecmd)); then
>         'c:/windows/system32/cmd.exe' /c "$lpath" "${args[@]}"
>     else
>         cygstart "$lpath" "${args[@]}"
>     fi
> }

I use:
<file name="/usr/local/bin/cmd'>
#!/usr/bin/env bash
# Copyright (C) 2018, cygSimple
#   mailto:cygSimple@users.sourceforge.net
#   https://sourceforge.net/p/cygsimple
# File: cmd

`cygpath "$COMSPEC"` "$@"
</file>

and

<file name="/usr/local/bin/start">
#!/usr/bin/env bash
# Copyright (C) 2018, cygSimple
#   mailto:cygSimple@users.sourceforge.net
#   https://sourceforge.net/p/cygsimple
# File: start

cmd /c start `cygpath -w -- "${@//&/^&}"`
</file>

The file /usr/local/bin/start uses the file /usr/local/bin/cmd because
of PATH.

I use another such file to start the Windows version of gvim.

<file name="/usr/local/bin/gvim">
#!/usr/bin/env bash
# Copyright (C) 2018, cygSimple
#   mailto:cygSimple@users.sourceforge.net
#   https://sourceforge.net/p/cygsimple
export PATH=/c/opt/vim/vim74:"$PATH"
start /c/opt/vim/vim74/gvim `cygpath -w -- "$@"` &
</file>

> So what else does cygstart do that I might setup
> before a "cmd /c"
> to get the target to run?

Don't know.

> Or anyway to have cygstart run the command with its output in the
> current window?

A windows program will have a different console by default.  A console
program could can communicate to the same console as it is started in
unless it uses pty (e.g. /c/windows/system32/ftp).

--
cyg Simple