Breaking change in Cygwin 2.10.0-1

Wed Feb 14 14:06:00 GMT 2018

On Feb 13 20:55, Marcel Kilgus wrote:
> Yesterday I got to investigate why the unit tests for one of my
> projects didn't work anymore. The tests are collected by a short Perl
> program that scans all *.c files and generates the test structure.
> But... it didn't find some c files anymore :-o I can see them using
> "DIR", I can see them in Explorer and everywhere else, but Perl is
> completely oblivious to their existence.
>
> It took a while to understand that I recently updated Cygwin and that
> this now hides "temporary" files by default. The thing is, this
> "temporary" flag on Windows is so obscure that there is no UI to
> set/unset it and even if it is set you usually don't notice it. Turns
> out my IDE sets the flag by accident, and did so for a decade, I just
> never noticed until now! It writes a temporary file and then renames
> that to the final name, without removing the flag... but whatever the
> reason, even Microsoft occasionally screws this up, apparently:
>
> https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/5d63a03a-f711-4035-a601-d66994c411eb/microsoft-print-to-pdf-troublesome-t-attribute?forum=win10itproapps
>
> TL;DR: Please roll back the change in fhandler_disk_file.cc, do not
> hide files that are otherwise completely visible in all other tools
> due to a flag that nobody knows about and that cannot be unset
> trivially, not even by Window's own ATTRIB command or Explorer.

I changed the way O_TMPFILE files are handled.  They are now created
with FILE_ATTRIBUTE_TEMPORARY and FILE_ATTRIBUTE_HIDDEN combined to
distinguish them from other files having set FILE_ATTRIBUTE_TEMPORARY
accidentally.

I uploaded new developer snapshots to https://cygwin.com/snpashots/

Please give them a try.

Thanks,