Printing (lpr, print, cat > <various names> returns printer not valid or no longer available

Marco Atzeri marco.atzeri@gmail.com
Fri Feb 23 16:10:00 GMT 2018

On 23/02/2018 16:35, Andrey Repin wrote:
> Greetings, Rodney Barnhart!
>

> P.S.
> It was a long time since I last tried smth like this, but I can replicte your
> issues. Even if the job was sent to printer, it results in error.
> On another hand, running text files trough
>
> convert text:... pdf:- | lpr -lP '//$HOSTNAME/Device'
>
> did produce some usable results. With PDFCreator.
> It appears, the data sent to the printer must be understood by the printer
> itself.

of course, it is also reported on the manual:

DESCRIPTION
        lpr  spools  a  file  to the specified printer device. No
formatting is  done -- data is sent "raw". This is useful,
for  example,  for  sending Postscript data to a Postscript printer.