Grep can't match characters before EOL marker without ^M

cyg Simple cygsimple@gmail.com
Thu Jan 4 19:51:00 GMT 2018

On 1/3/2018 1:39 PM, arrl via cygwin wrote:
> On 1/3/2018 12:31 PM, David Karr wrote:
>> My cygwin version appears to be "2.9.0(0.318/5/3)".
>>
>> If I have a text file that has a line that ends with "abc", and I try
>> to grep for "abc$", it doesn't match.  I find that it does match "$"
>> and "abc^M$".
>>
>> I've read some of the documentation about line endings in Cygwin.
>>
>> I need to write some scripting that works on both Cygwin and Linux.
>> What do I need to do here?
>>

> Consider running dos2unix on files containing ^M at line ends.

You might wish to test for a binary file before running dos2unix on it
though or even using sed to substitute ^M$ to remove them.  Binary data
could contain a CRLF that would destroy the binary file if CR is removed.

Also consider doing the same instruction regardless of the OS because
you never know when your script meets a file from a different OS. In the
business world many people send files from Windows to *NIX and vice
versa.  If a text file from *NIX is sent to a user of Windows be sure
that the file contains the appropriate CRLF or the user will just see
garbage unless they are a DevOPS person who knows how to deal with the
file.  I can't count the number of times I've had to resend a file or
help someone adjust one just because the Windows default for .txt files
is Notepad which uses the CR to advance to the next line of the GUI.

--
cyg Simple