[ANNOUNCEMENT] TEST RELEASE: Cygwin 2.10.0-0.1

Ken Brown kbrown@cornell.edu
Thu Jan 18 23:28:00 GMT 2018

On 1/18/2018 4:30 PM, Yaakov Selkowitz wrote:
> On 2018-01-18 08:35, Ken Brown wrote:
>> On 1/17/2018 5:29 PM, Ken Brown wrote:
>>> Do we need a new gcc release to go along with the recent ssp changes?
>>
>> The following commit message seems to answer my question:
>>
>>      Note that this does require building gcc with --disable-libssp and
>>      gcc_cv_libc_provides_ssp=yes.
>
> Correct.
>
>> Are there plans to coordinate the release of Cygwin 2.10.0 with a new
>> gcc release?  In the meantime, I guess package maintainers have to build
>> with -U_FORTIFY_SOURCE in order to test building with Cygwin 2.10.0.  Or
>> am I missing something?
>
> -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE is not the default, so simply omitting it is
> sufficient.

I was talking about building projects in which _FORTIFY_SOURCE is
defined by default.  That happens, for instance, in the gnulib
subdirectory of the emacs tree, so it may affect other projects that use
gnulib also.

> You could also just delete
> /usr/lib/gcc/*-pc-cygwin/6.4.0/include/ssp, since we won't need it
> anymore and it wasn't even being used properly in the first place.

That's a simpler workaround than what I was doing.  Thanks.

Ken