Fork issue on W10 WOW

Mon Jul 9 09:03:00 GMT 2018

On Jul  8 18:03, Marco Atzeri wrote:
> Am 30.06.2018 um 22:47 schrieb Ken Brown:
> > On 6/30/2018 11:52 AM, Marco Atzeri wrote:
> >
> > I've never had this problem with my own 32bit installation on W10, but I
> > just reproduced it by doing a new installation with your list of
> > packages.  Have you tried just installing a minimal list of packages
> > that you need for building the packages you maintain?
> >

> On a fresh minimal installation the problem can arise again
>
> $ cygcheck -cd |wc -l
> 245
>
> as the first system shared libs are lower than the rebase
> DefaultBaseAddress=0x070000000
>
> 6F810000-6F811000 r--p  /cygdrive/c/Windows/System32/wow64.dll
> 6F811000-6F844000 r-xp  /cygdrive/c/Windows/System32/wow64.dll
>
> I think that rebase should consider different rebase
> base address for W10.
>
> Using DefaultBaseAddress=0x06F000000 seems fine
> for the time being

I can do that in the rebaseall script (I have a matching patch locally),
but it looks like a race we can't win in the long run.  240 Megs less
space is a lot given the number of DLLs in the distro.

To make matters worse, I just checked my local 32 bit W10 and it turns
out that various Windows DLLs loaded by default (even in a simple tcsh)
are at even lower addresses, e.g.

  6B690000-6B6A3000 /mnt/c/Windows/System32/netapi32.dll

Corinna

Red Hat