NEW DEFECT: Basic cygwin Update Fails to Complete

Wed Jul 25 22:11:00 GMT 2018

On 2018-07-25 12:29, Hans-Bernhard Bröker wrote:
> Am 25.07.2018 um 12:39 schrieb John Delaney:
>
>> As I have done many times before, I attempted to update my 32-bit
>> Cygwin installation around midnight 7/24-25/ 2018.
>> This time the process failed at about 99% complete. " /etc/postinstall/
>> texlive-collection.basic.sh" failed to complete repeatedly
>> and consistently.
>
> "Failed to complete" or did it actually report and error and terminate? If the
> former: how long did you give before you decided it would never finish?

Hung in /etc/postinstall/texlive-collection.basic.sh or failed and setup
completed? Postinstall scripts autorebase, man-db, texlive, and a few others
sometimes take minutes to run: YMMV.

> "/usr/bin" does not normally exist on Cygwin installations.
>
> Whatever gave you _that_ idea?

Only /bin/ and /lib/ are created under the Cygwin root: /usr/bin/ and /usr/lib/
(also / and /proc/cygdrive/?/) appear as mount points under Cygwin processes.
If you use a Cygwin shell you can see /usr/{bin,lib}/, etc.; if you use a
Windows shell you can not.