My delayed complaint about spam on this list

Frank Farance frank@farance.com
Wed Jun 6 00:18:00 GMT 2018

On 2018-06-05 20:04, Steven Penny wrote:
> [...]
> If OP is suggesting people can only reply if they are subscribed, then I am not a fan of that.

No, I'm not suggesting that one must be subscribed, I'm pointing out that if one wants to have a back and forth discussion (in a practical sense), some kinda registration/subscription system is necessary.  What I like about the present format of this list is: it's just E-mail, there aren't bulletin board web interfaces to forces the fragmentation of the discussion into separate threads, with cygwin I can see the discussion threads based upon Subject line.

Someone suggested a moderator (or multiple moderators) that would approve messages from outsiders.  That sounds like the easiest approach because it anyone can write to the list and there would be just a short delay for those people who aren't subscribers, but the main benefit would be the lack of spam.

I'm not tied to any technology, and I'm happy to have heard some more discussion, which better informed me about some of the Use Cases I was unaware of.

So here's my question (and it assumes that there would be volunteer(s) to moderate):

Question: "Would a moderation system work where subscribers could send messages directly, but non-subscribers would need a moderator to approve the message?"

If that is acceptable, then the next step would be to find a couple volunteers.

Your thoughts?

-FF