xterm / Windows 10 question

Matt Nicholas mattdn@gmail.com
Wed Jun 13 21:22:00 GMT 2018

Hi Andrey,

I'm starting to feel a bit guilty about wasting bandwidth on the Cygwin
mailing list because
my initial question was answered by other posters and the problem has, as a
practical matter,
been solved.

That's not to say I understand all aspects of the interaction between
Windows 10 keyboard layouts,
the X Server, and xterm windows.

To answer your questions:

     > Why? Do you need the INTL one? If not, just remove it.

Yes, I agree.  I did remove ENG INTL following Microsoft's documented
procedure.
(Settings > Time & Language > Region & Language, select ENG INTL, click
Remove.)
This appeared to work -- ENG INTL no longer shows up in the Region &
Language dialog.
However, it remains one of the choices I can toggle through using <Windows
Key>+space.
So... presumably I don''t yet know how to actually remove it.

     > That makes little sense to me.
     > What if I have more than one input language? What if I actually NEED
both
     > layouts?

Yes, of course, if you need more than one input language you should keep
them installed.
What I was trying to say in my previous post was simply that the X Server
uses the layout that's in effect
when you start the X Server.  So if, for example, you want xterm windows to
start up with "ENG US"
rather than "ENG INTL", then you should select "ENG US" before starting the
X Server.
If you fail to do that, it seems you can switch after the fact using
"setxkbmap".

Best Regards,
--- Matt