[bug: csih] Setting privileged rights to cyg_server fails on Windows 7.

Takashi Yano takashi.yano@nifty.ne.jp
Fri Jun 15 11:46:00 GMT 2018

Hi Corinna,

On Thu, 14 Jun 2018 13:31:32 +0200
Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> 2) I'm logged in with a non-admin domain account.  If I open a
>    shell with "run as administrator", enter credentials for the
>    above domain admin account, LOGONSERVER is set correctly.

In this case, LOGONSERVER is NOT set in my environment.
Are you sure of the above result?

Anyway, I tested csih-0.9.10-1 released yesterday.

First of all, iu-config shows error message at the beginning.

*** ERROR: winProductName: C:/cygwin/lib/csih/winProductName.exe: error while loading shared libraries: libssp-0.dll: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

libssp0 package is installed as follows. However, it seems to provide
cygssp-0.dll, but not libssp-0.dll. Is any aother package required?

$ cygcheck -c libssp0
Cygwin Package Information
Package              Version        Status
libssp0              6.4.0-4        OK

Even with the error above, iu-config seems to work. So, I continued
testing. Testing was done in the following 8 scenarios.

Machine not on a domain:
1.1. Non-admin account + "Run as administrator" for admin
1.2. Admin account

Machine on a domain:
2.1. Local non-admin account + "Run as administrator" for local admin
2.2. Local non-admin account + "Run as administrator" for domain admin
2.3. Domain non-admin account + "Run as administrator" for local admin
2.4. Domain non-admin account + "Run as administrator" for domain admin
2.5. Local admin account
2.6. Domain admin account

Results are as follows.

1.1: OK
1.2: OK
2.1: Failed
2.2: Failed
2.3: Failed
2.4: Failed
2.5: Failed
2.6: OK

In failure cases, error message is:
passwd: unknown user cyg_server
*** Warning: Setting password expiry for user 'cyg_server' failed!
*** Warning: Please check that password never expires or set it to your needs.
*** Warning: Expected privileged user 'cyg_server' does not exist.
*** Warning: Defaulting to 'SYSTEM'

To resolve this problem, I would like to propose a patch attached.
I tested the patch for above 8 scenarios, and succeeded for all.

Could you please have a look?

--
Takashi Yano <takashi.yano@nifty.ne.jp>