Automatically populate resolv.conf when new DNS is acquired
john doe
johndoe65534@mail.com
Wed Jun 27 11:08:00 GMT 2018
Good morning Brian, bottom posting.
On 6/26/2018 4:18 PM, Brian Inglis wrote:
> On 2018-06-26 04:33, john doe wrote:
>> In gnupg2 the use of dirmngr utility is required to interact with a keyserver.
>> Dirmngr requires that '/etc/resolv.conf' be populated with my name servers.
>> That means that everytime the dns changes (new network ...) I need to manually
>> edit that file.
>> How can I let Cygwin update that file whenever the DNS is changed?
>
> Attached an awk script to generate resolv.conf from Windows ipconfig /all
> output, run from .cygwin_profile (sourced under Cygwin from login .bash_profile)
> using the stanza below: it only replaces an existing writable /etc/resolv.conf
> when the content changes - touch, chown, chmod /etc/resolv.conf to enable.
>
> # update /etc/resolv.conf if changed
> c=/etc/resolv.conf
> test -w $c && \
> i=$(/usr/bin/which -- ipconfig) && \
> r=$(/usr/bin/which -- resolv.awk) && \
> t=$(/bin/mktemp -t -- resolv.conf.$$.XXXXXXXX) && \
> if $i /all | $r > $t; then
> /usr/bin/cmp -s -- $t $c || \
> /bin/cp -fv -- $t $c
> /bin/rm -f -- $t
> fi
>
> unset c i r t
>
> This could be used in a bash script run from a Windows scheduled task when a
> relevant DHCP event occurs: you can find DHCP events by checking Windows Admin
> Tools/Event Viewer/Window Logs/System/Filter Current Log/Event
> Sources/Dhcp-Client,DHCPv6-Client, or a similar PowerShell script.
>
Thanks for the awk script and the explanation on how to use it! :)
By Windows Admin you mean "Windows Admin Center"?
I'm using Cygwin on a laptop (win 7 pro) and sadly, if I'm not
mistaking, "Windows Admin" is not available on non-server platform.
If I can't find a way to determine when my DNS changes I can clearly
emulate an hourly cron job by using "task scheduler".
Many thanks for the task scheduler hint and for your help.
--
John Doe
--
Problem reports: http://cygwin.com/problems.html
FAQ: http://cygwin.com/faq/
Documentation: http://cygwin.com/docs.html
Unsubscribe info: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
More information about the Cygwin
mailing list