setup-x86_64.exe v2.889 doesn't select additionally downloaded packages when installing from local directory

Jon Turney jon.turney@dronecode.org.uk
Tue Mar 6 23:14:00 GMT 2018

On 03/03/2018 23:00, Robert Cohen wrote:
> Summary of problem:
> When installing Cygwin from a local directory, setup-x86_64.exe version 2.889 doesn't
> list the packages that I additionally selected for download when previously downloading
> to that directory, and the top line of the GUI under Category view says "No packages found<->Default".
> Continuing the install only installs the packages preselected by setup.

Thanks for reporting this problem.

> Details:
> To install a fresh version of Cygwin, I usually do this: Run setup-x86_64.exe
> using "Download Without Installing", select some additional packages, and then after
> everything finished, I rerun setup-x86_64.exe using "Install from Local Directory",  and then
> the GUI, under Category view, shows "All <-> Default", beneath which is a hierarchical
> list including the packages preselected by setup along with the additional ones that I selected
> when downloading.
>
> Here's the problem: I performed the above process using today's version of setup-x86_64.exe
> from cygwin.com, which according to setup.ini is setup version 2.889, and the
> "Download Without Installing" setup worked as expected. However, when I next
> did "Install from Local Directory" using that directory, instead of showing "All<->Default", it
> showed "No packages found<->Default", and only the packages preselected by
> setup were not going to be skipped. I tried changing "Default" to "Install" at the
> top level of the list, but that then selected everything for install, not just the preselected
> packages and the additional ones I had downloaded. I repeated this process using
> a few different mirror sites for the download phase, but that made no difference.
>
> Interestingly, if I copy an older version of setup-x86_64.exe into my already-downloaded
> directory, e.g. setup-x86_64.exe version 2.880, the GUI is able to find the selected packages
> that I had already downloaded using setup version 2.889, after of course giving a few warnings
> about the current ini file being from a newer version of setup. In other words, if I download
> using setup v2.889, then when subsequently installing from that directory, setup v2.889 doesn't
> know what additional packages I had selected, whereas setup v2.880 does know.
>
> I'm wondering if I'm not doing something correctly, or if there is an issue with version 2.889 of
> setup-x86_64.exe not finding packages that were additionally selected for download.

I built an updated setup with some attempted fixes for these problems.

https://cygwin.com/setup/setup-2.889-12-g1cf567.x86.exe
https://cygwin.com/setup/setup-2.889-12-g1cf567.x86_64.exe

Perhaps you could try that and see if it improves things for you?