texlive-collection-basic requires Perl to be removed

Ken Brown kbrown@cornell.edu
Fri Mar 23 13:00:00 GMT 2018

On 3/22/2018 10:10 PM, Steven Penny wrote:
> This package contains this file:
>
>     /etc/preremove/texlive-collection-basic.sh
>
> which in turn calls:
>
>     /usr/libexec/update_tlpdb
>
> which is a Perl script. I understand that "texlive-collection-basic"
> requires
> "perl_base", but if a user removed Perl first then uninstallation of
> texlive
> would fail. Perhaps "update_tlpdb" could be rewritten as a shell script.

Failure of a preremove script doesn't cause uninstallation to fail.

In any case, update_tlpdb is the tip of the iceberg.  The preremove
script also calls (indirectly) the Perl scripts
/usr/share/texmf-dist/scripts/texlive/updmap.pl and
/usr/share/texmf-dist/scripts/texlive/fmtutil.pl.

Ken