Filemode change by windows applications

Eliot Moss moss@cs.umass.edu
Wed Mar 28 14:50:00 GMT 2018

On 3/28/2018 10:40 AM, Eliot Moss wrote:
> On 3/28/2018 10:11 AM, Andrey Repin wrote:
>
>>> and is there anything I can do to prevent windows
>>> applications from setting the execute bit on my files?
>>
>> No, and you will be unable to use Windows associations, if you clear execute bit
>> on documents.
>
> Interesting that you think so, Andrey.  I just tested this on my Windows 10
> Surface Book.  I used Windows Explorer to navigate to a folder where I had
> cleared the x bits from a .docx file (setting mode to 660 with chmod in
> Cygwin), and clicking on the file opened Word on the file just fine.  Maybe
> this behavior is dependent on some other things as well?

Here is getfacl output for the file in question:

# file: Progress Letters S16.docx
# owner: moss
# group: moss
user::rw-
group::---
group:SYSTEM:r-x                        #effective:r--
group:Cygwin:rwx                        #effective:rw-
mask:rw-
other:---

So there are underlying x bits of some kind, but Cygwin does display
mode 660 via ls -l (for example).

Still, we entirely agree that there is not really a way to prevent a
Windows program from setting the x bits.  Here is getfacl from another
file in the same folder, reflecting how Word sets the permissions:

# file: Progress Letters S17.docx
# owner: moss
# group: moss
# flags: -s-