Programs become a no-op

Kaz Kylheku 920-082-4242@kylheku.com
Wed May 2 23:44:00 GMT 2018

On 2018-05-02 14:15, David Rothenberger wrote:
> On 5/2/2018 1:13 PM, Boylan, Ross wrote:
>> I've tried
>> ssh -V
>> ssh --help
>> ssh -v somene@somewhere
>> and in all cases nothing happens except that I get a new command
>> prompt.  They used to work fine.
>
> This is usually due to a missing dependency. You can try "echo $?"
> after one of the failing commands. If it is 127, that's probably the
> issue. I usually track down the missing dependency by running the
> program under strace (strace ssh --help). It should pop-up a dialog
> window with the missing dependency library.

What if it is 127 and the dialog says "The procedure entry point
__locale_ctype_ptr
could not be located in the dynamic link library cygwin1.dll"?

That looks like an outdated cygwin1.dll w.r.t. that program (in this
case gdb).

But why doesn't setup.exe ensure that cygwin1.dll is up-to-date for
other things it installs?