Strange disappearing xterm behaviour (recent) - Xwin multi window

Jon Turney jon.turney@dronecode.org.uk
Sat May 12 14:53:00 GMT 2018

On 03/05/2018 19:08, Gulliver Smith wrote:
> I have been running a cygwin X server in multi window mode for years,
> first supporting xterms running on external boxes, then in a variety
> of VirtualBox virtual machines. X is started as follows on both
> Windows 10 and Windows 7 boxes.
>
>         /usr/bin/X -multiwindow -listen tcp
>
> I keep Cygwin up-to-date regularly, also my Linux virtual machines and
> the windows hosts.
>
> In the last few weeks I am getting new, annoying behavior.

Did the update of something cause this?

> Essentially, my X clients, e.g. xterm are no longer visible. A "ps" on
> the linux VM shows that they are still running. This happens with
> emacs too, and emacsclient calls also do not open windows on the
> display.
>
> Is it a change to Cygwin or a change to a Fedora 27 package? Is there a fix?

I don't see any other reports of anything like this.

It might be worth investigating what state the windows which have
disappeared are in.  Are the X windows in a viewable or notviewable
state, according to xwininfo?  You could use spy++/winspector/etc to see
if a Windows window exists and is hidden or not.

Is this linked to any 'virtual desktop' type software?

--
Jon Turney
Volunteer Cygwin/X X Server maintainer