CYGWIN 2.8

Lee ler762@gmail.com
Mon May 14 19:30:00 GMT 2018

On 5/14/18, cyg Simple   wrote:
> On 5/8/2018 3:28 PM, Hans-Bernhard Bröker wrote:
>> Am 08.05.2018 um 13:22 schrieb David Spencer:
>>> Morning,
>>>
>>> I am trying to get CYGWIN Version 2.8, this is the only version
>>> approved for our system at present,
>
> So your company is stating it wants to use buggy and susceptible
> applications.  I don't think so.

And I don't think you've ever experienced the joys of being a USG contractor :)

betting they're a contractor.

> state that 2.10 is the latest version of Cygwin and ask if it is okay.

Which is assuming that whatever person on the IT security team you ask
has the authority to override policy.  Staff _follows_ policy, they
don't make it.

> If not then ask them to provide you with a suitable version.

You seem to be under the impression that contractors are allowed to
make waves and stay employed there.

>> Providing that is, to a great extent, actually the job of whoever
>> approves versions of Cygwin for you.

I'd say it's the job of whoever came up with the policy of having an
'approved software' list in the first place to also come up with a
policy of keeping the list current but whatever..

It'd be nice to think the situation has changed in the years since I
was in the same position but apparently not.  What worked for me was
opening a support ticket with the group that keeps the approved
software list and asking what it takes to get the current version of
cygwin approved.

There's forms to be filled out, procedures to be followed, and in a
few weeks the current version of cygwin is on the approved list.

Regards,
Lee