Bug: No json support anymore in Ruby 2.3.6

Ken Brown kbrown@cornell.edu
Tue Nov 20 16:26:00 GMT 2018

On 11/20/2018 10:39 AM, Ronald Fischer wrote:
> Hi Ken,
>
> actually, the page regarding the gem list for the Ruby version in question (the one we have at Cygwin) is
>
>      https://stdgems.org/2.3.6/
>
> but this page too lists json as "default gem".
>
> The page https://stdgems.org/ then defines this term as:
>
> "Default gems: These gems are part of Ruby and you can always require them directly"
>
> So from this I would conclude that json (and the other default gems) should be part of the Ruby installation, since "they are part of Ruby". If you disagree with my interpretation, please explain where I undersood the text in a wrong way.
>
> BTW, I think that my viewpoint is also supported by
>
> https://ruby-doc.org/stdlib-2.3.6/
>
> which says that the packages listed on this page are found in the /lib directory of Ruby.
>
> But even if I go along with your interpretation of the text, in that the default gems are delivered as a separated package, they should be available at least on the Cygwin server, and be installable from there, but I did a search for "ruby-default" and could not get a match.

I was just trying to tell you how to solve the problem.  I wasn't offering an
opinion about ruby packaging or which gems should be installed by default.

Ken
 ТÒÐÐ¥&ö&ÆVÒ&W÷'G3¢‡GG¢òö7–wv–âæ6öÒ÷&ö&ÆV×2æ‡FÖÀФd¢‡GG¢òö7–wv–âæ6öÒöfðФFö7VÖVçFF–ö㢇GG¢òö7–wv–âæ6öÒöFö72æ‡FÖÀÐ¥Vç7V'67&–&R–æfó¢‡GG¢òö7–wv–âæ6öÒöÖÂò7Vç7V'67&–&R×6–×ÆPРÐ