setup-x86_64 Can't Download to Mapped Drive

Andrey Repin anrdaemon@yandex.ru
Mon Nov 26 14:50:00 GMT 2018

Greetings, Sridhar Ayengar!

> I'm trying to use setup-x86_64.exe to update Cygwin.  The directory into
> which Cygwin is installed is C:\cygwin.  I am trying to use a network
> shared drive mapped to I: for the download directory, I:\cygwindownload.
> setup-x86_64 shows a dialog box with "Directory I:\cygwindownload does not
> exist, would you like me to create it?".  If I click "Yes", I get a dialog
> box with "Could not create directory I:\cygwindownload, sorry.  (Is drive
> full or read-only?)".  I get the same behavior even if I remove
> I:\cygwindownload and have setup-x86_64.exe try to create it.

Get off the habit of using mapped drives. Use UNC paths directly.
But for your specific issue, the drive mapped in your user session, but you
start setup within administrative session, where the drive is not mapped.
So, back to the previous statement, get off the bad habits. Or map the disk
inside adm session.

--
With best regards,
Andrey Repin