urgent help for tool

Tue Oct 23 07:57:00 GMT 2018

On Oct 22 17:37, Vince Rice wrote:

> > Can we change that error hint so that it points to a suitable help page rather than the mailing list which is getting spammed by lots of people who don't even have an idea how to put a meaningful title on their report?
>
> Already been done (well, something similar). Read the FAQ entry.

The old Cygwin versions still containing the pointer to email are
actually at least 4 years old, Cygwin 1.7.33 and earlier.

> It doesn't help for the old versions of cygwin that are being
> reported. That's why they're getting that message—because it's an old
> version.  They're not spamming, they're doing exactly what the message
> told them to do. The message was unfortunate from the get-go.

Indeed.  It seemd like a good idea at the time...

> Now that has come up yet again, I do wonder if the mailing list
> software could somehow trap an unquoted FAST_CWD message and just
> reply with a message that includes a link to the FAQ entry, rather
> than send the message onto the list. Probably more trouble than it's
> worth.

We're just users of the sourceware infrastructure.  What we could try
by ourselves is to create an automated reply.  The mail and the
automated reply would still hit the mailing list, but nobody would
have to bother to reply anymore.  This could even be a simple
procmail filter.  I'll look into it (but will need time).

Corinna

Red Hat