Bug Report: Regression in Cygwin 2.11.0-1

Thomas Wolff towo@towo.net
Sat Sep 1 09:07:00 GMT 2018

Am 01.09.2018 um 10:10 schrieb Marco Atzeri:
> Am 01.09.2018 um 03:24 schrieb Bryan Phelps:
>> Hello,
>>

>> Thank you for all the work on Cygwin! I've been using it to spin up
>> an environment to build the OCaml compiler / toolchain, and it was
>> working great.
>>

>> However, today, all our CI builds mysteriously started failing - at
>> first, I suspected it was a problem with AppVeyor, but I also
>> failures with VSTS. We use an NPM package (`esy-bash`) to spin up a
>> Cygwin environment, and then use that to build the OCaml toolchain.
>>

>> The error message we started receiving today is:
>>
>> OCAML_FLEXLINK="../boot/ocamlrun ../flexdll/flexlink.exe"
>> ../byterun/ocamlrun ../ocamlc -g -nostdlib -I ../utils -I ../parsing
>> -I ../stdlib -I ../compilerlibs -strict-sequence -safe-string
>> -strict-formats -w +a-4-9-41-42-44-45-48 -warn-error A -custom
>> ocamlcommon.cma -o ocamltest.exe run_win32.o run_stubs.o
>> ocamltest_config.cmo testlib.cmo run_command.cmo filetype.cmo
>> filecompare.cmo backends.cmo variables.cmo environments.cmo
>> builtin_variables.cmo builtin_modifiers.cmo actions.cmo
>> builtin_actions.cmo tests.cmo builtin_tests.cmo tsl_ast.cmo
>> tsl_parser.cmo tsl_lexer.cmo tsl_semantics.cmo options.cmo main.cmo
>> x86_64-w64-mingw32-gcc: error: ../stdlib\libcamlrun.a: No such file
>> or directory
>>

> Question:
> is libcamlrun.a built correctly and in the same directory than before ?
> This mixed "../stdlib\libcamlrun.a" slash looks strange
It does, but remember, we're running on a mixed system. Also the problem
is not caused by mixed syntax, the following do not work anymore:
     cd /usr; ls '..\bin'
     cd /; ls 'usr\include'
I think it's good that cygwin used to support this and it should be
reestablished.
Note the following did not even work before, due to mount point issues:
     cd /; ls 'usr\bin'
Not sure whether it's worth fixing that seeming inconsistence as well.

Checking the change log, it might be a side effect of

- Fix a buffer underrun problem in Win32 path normalization.
   Addresses:https://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2018-05//msg00017.html

Checking the commit diff
https://cygwin.com/git/gitweb.cgi?p=newlib-cygwin.git;a=commitdiff;h=35998fc2fa6cbb7d761f6d88346246bd3627552b
this might be a starting point to analyse...

---