Cygwin fails to utilize Unicode replacement character

Fri Sep 7 18:20:00 GMT 2018

On Sep  7 10:48, Brian Inglis wrote:
> On 2018-09-07 05:54, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> >> No, sorry, it's "Terminal" initially and then shortened down to "T" by one
> >> char each in the loop.
> > The loop is handling the weird DejaVu Sans Mono behaviour I explained
> > in previous mail.
>
> Garbage in font name from uninit struct on stack?
> Before call bzero/memset/implicit:
>
> -  CONSOLE_FONT_INFOEX cfi;
> +  CONSOLE_FONT_INFOEX cfi = { 0 };

No, that doesn't help.  Do you really think I didn't try this?  Think
about it.  The string returned by GetCurrentConsoleFontEx is supposed to
be \0-terminated.  If the \0 follows *after* the stray characters, where
would they come from if not created by the GetCurrentConsoleFontEx
function itself?

> and remove loop, which opens an attack vector by renaming a good font
> and substituting one with a shorter name, or could cause problems by
> using the wrong font e.g DejaVu Sans.

How so?

> You need to self-impose a change freeze before heading out, once you're in
> "stuff to get done before leaving" mode, which may be a day or up to a week, you
> delegate or postpone decisions and actions until you return: BTDTGTS (Got The
> Scars) ;^>

I hear you.

Corinna

Red Hat