Fish shell fails with PermissionDenied on rename file, if Cygwin home directory is a Junction.

cyg Simple cygsimple@gmail.com
Tue Sep 11 19:28:00 GMT 2018

On 9/11/2018 11:50 AM, Andrew Schulman wrote:

>>> Unfortunately I don't know how to help with this. fish works fine except in
>>> this case where the directory ~/.config/fish is somewhere under a Windows
>>> junction. Since I don't know how to solve that, I asked Marcin to report
>>> the problem here.
>>>

>> A windows `junction` and not a `symlink`?  They're not the same thing.
>
> Note that I'm not the one who has this problem, but my understanding is
> that it happens when the ~/.config/fish is somewhere under a Windows
> junction, not a symlink.
>
>> If you truly mean `junction` then the issue is yours to fix.
>
> It's true that the user could avoid the problem by changing their file
> systems so that ~/.config/fish isn't under a junction point. But I don't
> think they should have to do that.
>
> To me it seems like a bug that rename2() is failing when the target file is
> under a junction point.

See https://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/using.html#pathnames-symlinks to
determine if you can find a solution.  In general though junctions are
treated as symlinks while traveling into the directory.  However the
file system attributes are specific and required as described in the
document I pointed to above.

--
cyg Simple