*cause of* screen writing over restored buffer on detach/exit

Thomas Wolff towo@towo.net
Thu Apr 11 17:24:00 GMT 2019

Am 11.04.2019 um 14:12 schrieb Andrew Schulman:
>> Am 10.04.2019 um 17:04 schrieb Andrew Schulman:
>>> Hi Shaddy. There you go again.

>>> I don't know whose fault the problem is either, but it's probably a
>>> particularity of Cygwin. So I'm happy to package the fix as long as it
>>> doesn't create any problems.
>> screen sends CSI ? 1049l on exit which restores the cursor to the
>> position where it was previously saved.
>> It's the "te" (not ti) terminfo sequence for xterm on cygwin.
> Thomas, can you please clarify: Are you suggesting changing ti to te in the above entries?
I was just reporting what I had discovered. The above settings do not
seem to make sense, though, as they would restore the cursor (to what?)
when screen is started.
On the other hand, screen behaviour when the settings are disabled do
not make much sense, either. It sends a Restore Cursor sequence without
having sent a Save Cursor before. Very weird.
> Or do you have another suggested patch?
Any change I tried seems to make screen exit behaviour better, sometimes
leaving at the bottom, sometimes at the top (after clearing the screen).

> Although I'm the screen maintainer, I've never learned the intricacies of termcapinfo.
The screen manual is a bit fuzzy about this. Apparently you can tweak
screen's assumptions about your terminal. But normally you shouldn't
need to.
Thomas