SMBFS mount's file cannot be made executable

Wed Aug 14 22:58:00 GMT 2019

On 2019-08-14 05:22, Ken Brown wrote:
> On 8/14/2019 12:23 AM, Lavrentiev, Anton (NIH/NLM/NCBI) [C] via cygwin wrote:
>>> Have you checked the default ACL on the directory containing the file?
>>
>> No, and there's nothing special there now that I checked.  I can change the
>> "Read & Execute" for the .exe file from the Windows file properties without
>> having to deal with anything special or additional (like inherited
>> permissions), so I don't think the containing directory has anything to do
>> with it.>
> I suspect the containing directory has a lot to do with it.  You shouldn't
> get an "Invalid argument" error below.
>
>> $ getfacl /cygdrive/z
>> # file: /cygdrive/z
>> # owner: lavr
>> # group: cppcore
>> user::rwx
>> group::r-x
>> other::r-x
>> getfacl: /cygdrive/z: Invalid argument
>
> Running getfacl under strace might provide a clue as to what the problem is.
> You could also try running /usr/lib/csih/getVolInfo.exe on that directory.

Running getVolInfo shows you supported operations and options:

$ /usr/lib/csih/getVolInfo "$exe"
Device Type        : 7
Characteristics    : 20020
Volume Name        : <VOLUMENAME>
Serial Number      : 112776248
Max Filenamelength : 255
Filesystemname     : <NTFS>
Flags              : 3e706ff
  FILE_CASE_SENSITIVE_SEARCH  : TRUE
  FILE_CASE_PRESERVED_NAMES   : TRUE
  FILE_UNICODE_ON_DISK        : TRUE
  FILE_PERSISTENT_ACLS        : TRUE
  FILE_FILE_COMPRESSION       : TRUE
  FILE_VOLUME_QUOTAS          : TRUE
  FILE_SUPPORTS_SPARSE_FILES  : TRUE
  FILE_SUPPORTS_REPARSE_POINTS: TRUE
  FILE_SUPPORTS_REMOTE_STORAGE: FALSE
  FILE_VOLUME_IS_COMPRESSED   : FALSE
  FILE_SUPPORTS_OBJECT_IDS    : TRUE
  FILE_SUPPORTS_ENCRYPTION    : TRUE
  FILE_NAMED_STREAMS          : TRUE
  FILE_READ_ONLY_VOLUME       : FALSE
  FILE_SEQUENTIAL_WRITE_ONCE  : FALSE
  FILE_SUPPORTS_TRANSACTIONS  : TRUE

You can often figure permissions problems out yourself by looking at the outputs
from:

	$ ls --color=auto -dl "$exe"
	$ getfacl "$exe"
	$ icacls "$(cygpath -m ""$exe"")"

and correlating the info, perhaps also with the same commands executed on the
containing directory.

If you post those output from your system, other may be able to help you.

To first approximations: all file access problems are permissions problems; and
all programming problems are application programmer array access problems. ;^>
You have to first totally eliminate all possibilities of those, before you
should bother looking at other prossible causes.