SMBFS mount's file cannot be made executable

Lavrentiev, Anton (NIH/NLM/NCBI) [C] via cygwin cygwin@cygwin.com
Thu Aug 15 02:00:00 GMT 2019

> This is called by acl_to_any_text, which is called by getfacl.  Any
> chance you could try to debug this?

> I'm about to go on vacation, but I could try to help when I get back.

I'm headed out of town as well.  But I get this very same EINVAL for any drive (/cygdrive/X)
except for the local disk C: (the only local drive my PC has):

$ mount
S: on /cygdrive/s type netapp (binary,posix=0,user,noumount,auto)
U: on /cygdrive/u type netapp (binary,posix=0,user,noumount,auto)
Y: on /cygdrive/y type smbfs (binary,posix=0,user,noumount,auto)

$ getfacl /cygdrive/u
# file: /cygdrive/u
# owner: Unknown+User
# group: Unknown+Group
user::rwx
user:lavr:rwx
group::r-x
mask::rwx
other::---
getfacl: /cygdrive/u: Invalid argument

$ getfacl /cygdrive/s
# file: /cygdrive/s
# owner: Unknown+User
# group: Unknown+Group
user::rwx
user:lavr:rwx
group::rwx
mask::rwx
other::---
getfacl: /cygdrive/s: Invalid argument

Everything works fine for the drives U: & S: w.r.t execution.

$ getfacl /cygdrive/y
# file: /cygdrive/y
# owner: lavr
# group: cppcore
user::rwx
group::r-x
other::r-x
getfacl: /cygdrive/y: Invalid argument

Drive "Y:" is a share from Linux that has special ACL flags set (I explained in previous posts):

acl allow execute always = True

making "everything" executable there.