Win7 system update hosed something in Cygwin

David Karr davidmichaelkarr@gmail.com
Fri Aug 16 14:48:00 GMT 2019

On Fri, Aug 16, 2019 at 2:01 AM Houder wrote:

> On Thu, 15 Aug 2019 18:28:09, David Karr  wrote:
> > I logged into my Win7 laptop and I saw it was having some connection
> > problems, so I decided to reboot.
> >
> > After the reboot I found that Cygwin had some basic problems.  I brought
> up
> > a mintty window (C:\cygwin64\bin\mintty.exe -e /bin/bash --login) and the
> > prompt looked odd.  It wasn't the PS1 value that I set in my .bashrc. It
> > also seemed to be saying that my current directory was "/", which is not
> my
> > homedir.
>
> Re. your subject title: not likely.

Cygwin was working fine.  I rebooted.  Cygwin broken.

> Please study /etc/profile where it says "here is how HOME is set" ...

Ok. This says:

  #  1) From existing HOME in the Windows environment, translated to a
Posix path
  #  2) from /etc/passwd, if there is an entry with a non empty directory
field
  #  3) from HOMEDRIVE/HOMEPATH
  #  4) / (root)

I just brought up a cmd shell and entered "set" and looked at the result.

1. I don't have a "HOME" variable setting.
2. /etc/passwd doesn't exist in Cygwin.
3. I DO have both HOMEDRIVE and HOMEPATH set, and that points to my Windows
home directory, which DOES exist.
4. This is what I am getting.

So, before this reboot, my Cygwin home directory has always been
"/home/<myuid>", which has always resided at "c:\cygwin64\home\<myuid>".
After the reboot, my Cygwin home directory is "/", which appears to
translate to "c:\cygwin64" (from "cygpath -w /").  However, according to
the rules listed in /etc/profille, I SHOULD be getting home set to
"c:/Users/<myuid>", although I don't want that.

Any other ideas?