FYI: Google deleting/blocking incoming mails (was Re: More on Win7 update messing up HOME)

L A Walsh cygwin@tlinx.org
Fri Aug 16 21:17:00 GMT 2019

On 2019/08/15 19:38, David Karr wrote:
> I wish I could get my own messages on this list, so I could add more
> information to my first note.

----
    It's a gmail feature!  As you have a gmail address, presumably you
created it in gmail, which means it should be in your outgoing message
folder.  If that's the case, then google deletes any incoming email
that it thinks is a duplicate of something you sent out (including
copies that come back via a list).

    Of course it isn't an exact duplicate, the headers are different, but
they claim only the content counts and that all their users appreciate
their deleting of random incoming emails (they are full of excrement, but
they believe their IQ is stratospheric, and gives them the right to ignore
and set new network standards at will).

    I had to find a new email provider "real quick" about a year ago, and
one of the requirements was that the provider not delete any incoming email
from the incoming domain email stream.  They claimed they deleted
nothing. ...
Except...:

   1) incoming email that they've seen -- so if someone sends
an email to you personally, and 'cc's a list you are on, only one of
them will get through.  They claim users (they ones that don't know how
to filter email) love this simplicity and that they haven't received any
complaints.  *cough*.

   2) if you send email out through gmail, one copy should be in your 'Sent'
email, the other one coming back from a list will be deleted.

   3) some spam (even if you turn off spam filtering) is classified by them
as "dangerous" (either is a virus, or points to a "forbidden" site, or
contains "forbidden" links (or text that they might think are links).  Those
will be blocked without telling you about it.

   4) Other random messages that they want to block.  I posted a single
change
description from the linux-kernel change notes to the bug-bash list that
described use of a shell feature.  For some reason, I never got a copy
of the
email even though it was wasn't composed on google.  It did go to the list
and arrived there in ~ 10s as verified by looking in the list archive, but
I never received a copy -- abnormal, since I don't compose on google and
don't
have another copy on google.

   5) Email marked as 'google-private or restricted' that won't go into a
normal POP or IMAP email box and will only be readable (no copy/past, no
forwarding, no print) and can be deleted or replaced in your email box
later on, by the email-author.

----

    Sometime in October, they are switching to oauth-only authorization,
which
is only designed to work over HTTP.  Other "less secure"[sic] methods
will be
disabled.  I'm not sure, but it seems secure IMAP (and POP) appear to fall
into the 'insecure' access methods, though email passed through via
'SENDMAIL'
(often/usually unencrypted) won't be affected.

    So if you have used gmail to collect your email and then download it all
to read locally -- it's likely you will want to switch to a different
provider.