Win7 system update hosed something in Cygwin

L A Walsh cygwin@tlinx.org
Fri Aug 16 21:20:00 GMT 2019

On 2019/08/15 18:28, David Karr wrote:
> I logged into my Win7 laptop and I saw it was having some connection
> problems, so I decided to reboot.
>
> After the reboot I found that Cygwin had some basic problems.  I brought up
> a mintty window (C:\cygwin64\bin\mintty.exe -e /bin/bash --login) and the
> prompt looked odd.  It wasn't the PS1 value that I set in my .bashrc. It
> also seemed to be saying that my current directory was "/", which is not my
> homedir.

You might want to read the section in the cygwin user manual, especially
https://www.cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/ntsec.html#ntsec-mapping

If you don't have /etc/passwd or /etc/group, cygwin will generate
DOMAIN+USER entries dynamically each time you start cygwin (or per-boot)
if you have cygwin processes started at boot.  The /etc/passwd and group
files do not exist by default.

If you want consistency -- same user names+id's with each boot and
MS-Win compatible names, you may want to create /etc/passwd
and /etc/group using mkpasswd, mkgroup and hand tuning.  It isn't
suggested for most users, but it may be something you want.