Win7 system update hosed something in Cygwin

Andrey Repin anrdaemon@yandex.ru
Mon Aug 19 12:34:00 GMT 2019

Greetings, L A Walsh!

> On 2019/08/15 18:28, David Karr wrote:
>> I logged into my Win7 laptop and I saw it was having some connection
>> problems, so I decided to reboot.
>>
>> After the reboot I found that Cygwin had some basic problems.  I brought up
>> a mintty window (C:\cygwin64\bin\mintty.exe -e /bin/bash --login) and the
>> prompt looked odd.  It wasn't the PS1 value that I set in my .bashrc. It
>> also seemed to be saying that my current directory was "/", which is not my
>> homedir.
>>
> You might want to read the section in the cygwin user manual, especially
> https://www.cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/ntsec.html#ntsec-mapping

This was a good suggestion.

> If you don't have /etc/passwd or /etc/group, cygwin will generate
> DOMAIN+USER entries dynamically each time you start cygwin (or per-boot)
> if you have cygwin processes started at boot.  The /etc/passwd and group
> files do not exist by default.

> If you want consistency -- same user names+id's with each boot and
> MS-Win compatible names, you may want to create /etc/passwd
> and /etc/group using mkpasswd, mkgroup and hand tuning.  It isn't
> suggested for most users, but it may be something you want.

However, with all due respect, you should follow your own advice first.
There's more ways to resolve this, and all of them are more correct, than
generating static files which would get stale rather fast.

F.e. you could try setting

db_home: windows

for it to pick your system profile directory.

--
With best regards,
Andrey Repin

Sorry for my terrible english...