3.0.7(0.338/5/3): Possible reference to Developer's instances of dev files in deployed build

Ken Brown kbrown@cornell.edu
Thu Dec 5 19:44:00 GMT 2019

> On Dec  5 16:10, Ken Brown wrote:

>>> The only problem here is that I can't reproduce the assertion failure.
>>>
>>> I created a Samba share on a Linux machine, mounted it as drive Z:,
>>> and set the "always available offline" property of the drive.
>>>
>>> After syncing I accessed the drive, then I stopped Samba on the Linux
>>> server to switch the drive into offline mode.  Then I ran `ls -la
>>> /cygdrive/z'.  After a few secs I got the offline content cached on the
>>> local machine.  I also tried `ls -la /cygdrive/' and `cd /cygdrive; ls
>>> -la', but every time I got the expected output.  In the cases I tried
>>> to list /cygdrive itself I got the expected output, all drives except
>>> the z drive.
>>>
>>> I tried this with Cygwin 3.1.0-0.8.x86_64 on Windows 7 and Windows 10.
>>>
>>> So either there's something very special in Wilfed's setup, or I'm
>>> doing something wrong.  Which is it?
>>
>> How does your strace output compare to Wilfed's when you list /cygdrive?  Does
>> it show a failed attempt to list Z: with an error from NtCreateFile?
>
> Not at all.  The strace doesn't show any attempt to open Z:.

Then I wonder what's different about Wilfed's setup that causes an attempt to
open Z: when it's offline.

I'm grasping at straws, but could the difference be related to the fact that his
drive Z: is not a Samba share?  Here's an excerpt from the mount output in one
of his earlier emails (when Z: is online):

V: on /cygdrive/v type smbfs (binary,noacl,posix=0,user,noumount,auto)
W: on /cygdrive/w type smbfs (binary,noacl,posix=0,user,noumount,auto)
X: on /cygdrive/x type smbfs (binary,noacl,posix=0,user,noumount,auto)
Y: on /cygdrive/y type smbfs (binary,noacl,posix=0,user,noumount,auto)
Z: on /cygdrive/z type cifs (binary,noacl,posix=0,user,noumount,auto)
                        ^^^^

Ken