Bug in "factor" (coreutils: GNU core utilities (8.26-2), 64bit edition)

L A Walsh cygwin@tlinx.org
Fri Dec 13 06:26:00 GMT 2019

On 2019/12/11 23:36, Bernd Eggen wrote:
> Hello,
> Some time ago I found that the Cygwin-64 "factor" command did not seem to terminate with certain numbers, eg try:
>   -> echo '3401347*3861211*12099721' | bc | factor
>
> The developers provided a fix (in GNU coreutils 8.29), however, after some two years I still find the faulty factor command in the current Cygwin distribution.
> When are you planning to upgrade ?
> Cheers, Bernd
> PS I think this only affects 64bit version

Wow...  The source for factor should be easy to build .. like grab from
gnu's website...(goog) tells me this link should work:
https://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/coreutils/coreutils-8.31.tar.xz

untar it and run configure in the dir where it was
extracted, then run "make" in the same dir.

You'll find factor in "src/factor".

Or you could also get the cygwin source package (in setup
checkmark the src package) and substitute in the new
coreutils package, and adjust any
needed paths in the cygwin make package, then you'd have
an installable cygwin package rather than just a binary of
factor...

Just thinking out-loud, mostly, if I really needed it
that is...
But dunnow how complicated their packaging is...

-linda